Steven wrote and asked over on LinkedIn:
“We have a parent in our pack who occasionally wears a scout shirt. He is not a registered leader. Are there any guidelines about this? Is there anything wrong with an enthusiastic leader wearing a khaki BSA scout shirt on occasion even though he doesn’t hold a leadership position? As long as he doesn’t have a patch that says “Den Leader” or anything to incorrectly identify him as a registered leader, is there an issue? He does volunteer with some pack events such as our model rocket launch and he’s also our summer camp liaison for next summer. The question isn’t specifically about him, but in general, can a non-registered adult wear a BSA adult class A shirt? I’m sure he’d complete an application if we asked him to, to make it official. I couldn’t find much on the topic. Any insights appreciated. Thanks.”
From the BSA’s Uniform (Control) Guide, Steven:
“The badges and other official insignia and the uniforms of the Boy Scouts of America shall be made available only to, and used only by, registered youth members or officials and other members who have satisfactorily complied with the requirements prescribed by the Corporation.”
(“Corporation” meaning the Boy Scouts of America, Inc.)
— BSA Rules and Regulations, Article X, Section 4, Clause 1
Okay. Sit down with Mr. or Ms. Wannabee and explain the following to him or her:
– the uniform goes with the program. I’m tickled to no end that you want to wear it to our meetings, our outings — you want to be a part of us. I get it…and I love it. However, the BSA says “only those *registered* with the BSA gets to wear the uniform, to include the uniform shirt.
Whether it has patches or not on it, doesn’t matter…
– we can resolve any issues you have with being registered…and if you’re really in a bind, I’m sure we can come up with the registration monies for you to be registered with us. I understand that you may be concerned that we “have to put you on something” you don’t want to be a part of…I’ve got a solution for that also. The BSA has a catagory of membership called “Scouter Reserve” which allows you to wear the uniform, participate with us to your extent, and even get some more of that training (in addition to the Youth Protection training you’ve already have) if you want to.
– bottom line: I’m going to ask you to please NOT wear the shirt until we get you registered with the BSA. The shirt comes with the program, and I am sure you don’t want to mislead anyone in thinking you’re an official part of the program when you’re not.
Hopefully this will help. Otherwise, a meeting with him and the chartered organization’s representative or your unit’s Commisioner may be in order.
Non-Registered Adults and the Uniform (7 Nov 13)
Steven wrote and asked over on LinkedIn:
About SettummanqueTake your standard Oliver North. Add strong parts of Bill Cosby and Sir Robert Baden-Powell (the founder of Scouting). Throw in Johny Bravo without the "hurhhs!" and his pecks. Add a strong dose of parenting, the sexuality of a latin lover, and Mona Lisa's smile. And a 40 year old's body frame. That's me basically *grinning*
Connect with Settummanque
Search Settummanque Speaks
About Mike Walton
"There's no such thing as strong coffee...only weak people..."
About Me:Take your standard Oliver North. Add strong parts of Bill Cosby and Sir Robert Baden-Powell (the founder of Scouting). Throw in Johny Bravo without the "hurhhs!" and his pecks. Add a strong dose of parenting, the sexuality of a latin lover, and Mona Lisa's smile. And a 40 year old's body frame. That's me basically *grinning*
Follow @settummanque on Twitter
- “Where Do I find Eagle Scouts?” (16 Jan 18) 17 January 2018
- The Lantern Song (12 Oct 17) 12 October 2017
- We Need a “National Swear Jar” (26 Sep 17) 26 September 2017
- I Thought you Taught Boys to be Men (24 Sep 17) 24 September 2017
- Making Scouting Accessible to Today’s Family (Where I stand) 10 August 2017
- “Our new Eagle Scouts Won’t do A Court of Honor – Help!” (26 Mar 13) 5 April 2013
- The old Scout Shorts…can we still wear them? (22 Apr 11) 23 April 2011
- Non-Registered Adults and the Uniform (7 Nov 13) 28 November 2013
- More about Square knot insignia (19 Aug 13) 19 August 2013
- More about “Fort Knox High Days” (2015 Reunion Overview) (6 Sep 15) 10 September 2015
- hack game with hardplex: Thankfulness to my father who shared with me about...
- thewindow.to: Having read this I believed it was rather enlighte...
- Nelson: What's Going down i'm new to this, I stumbled up...
- Rose: Good blog post. I certainly love this website. Con...
- media sbobet: I?ｖe been exploгing for a littⅼe bіt for any...