(Copied from the SCOUTING magazine daily blog at blog.scoutingmagazine.org) I am the assistant Scoutmaster and advancement chairman for my Scout troop. I have worked with lots of boys in my troop and am proud of the fact that we have more than the national average of boys who made it to Eagle. So many […]
About Mike WaltonTake your standard Oliver North. Add strong parts of Bill Cosby and Sir Robert Baden-Powell (the founder of Scouting). Throw in Johny Bravo without the "hurhhs!" and his pecks. Add a strong dose of parenting, the sexuality of a latin lover, and Mona Lisa's smile. And a 40 year old's body frame. That's me basically *grinning*
(From my posting on the BSA’s SCOUTING magazine blog): Wallace wrote in part: “Ed… Something must have happened or why would the BSA adopt the policy…” Yeah. The United States had a “growth spurt” and with it some additional maturity. A scant 15 years ago, we were laughing at NBC’s “Will […]
Mr. Walton, “I read the comments about the BSA retiring the “Heroism Award” on the scouting magazine blog. I am curious about your thoughts on this. I am looking at it from a military valor standpoint. You have the Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, and the Bronze Star with a […]
Hey Ted: That’s exactly what I was saying this morning to someone…our youth today simply *do not care*. Gayness doesn’t come up in a typical youth’s discussion with another…and if it does, it is a simple “that’s cool” or “do your own thing, man…” and discussion moves on something else youth-like. It is we adults […]
Boy Scouts of America Monday, Jan. 28, 2013 “For more than 100 years, Scouting’s focus has been on working together to deliver the nation’s foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training. Scouting has always been in an ongoing dialogue with the Scouting family to determine what is in the best interest […]
Four Pound Binder Contents.pdf Download this file Hi David!! I think you’re talking about the items in my “four pound binder”. I haven’t updated the binder in quite some time (about three years now) but I need to do so. Some of the publications no longer exist; while others are found only in electronic […]
So WHAT or WHO are we hiding the fact that we’re Scouters from? Tell me!! Why the secrecy? What are we trying to hide from the public?? Why must we couch our words about what we do in Scouting behind “I’m doing this because my child’s in it” and “I’m just doing it this […]
Lou (David) Salzer wrote and asked me: “Mr. Walton, I read the comments about the BSA retiring the “Heroism Award” on the scouting magazine blog. I am curious about your thoughts on this. I am looking at it from a military valor standpoint. You have the Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross, Silver […]
And people say that our back and forths in these electronic forums (Scouts-L, LinkedIn, other places) don’t do anything but give them headaches! From the January 2013 edition of Advancement News: “A new version of the “Application for Merit Badge,” No. 34124, commonly referred to as the “blue card,” is being released later in January […]
Hi Scott!! Happy Holidays to you and yours!! You wrote and asked me: “I stumbled across your website today while doing a little internet searching regarding the Cub Scout Arrow of Light Award. I earned my Arrow of Light in 1992 and my Eagle in 1998. I have a first grade son who […]
Search Settummanque Speaks
About Mike Walton
"There's no such thing as strong coffee...only weak people..."
About Me:Take your standard Oliver North. Add strong parts of Bill Cosby and Sir Robert Baden-Powell (the founder of Scouting). Throw in Johny Bravo without the "hurhhs!" and his pecks. Add a strong dose of parenting, the sexuality of a latin lover, and Mona Lisa's smile. And a 40 year old's body frame. That's me basically *grinning*
Follow @settummanque on Twitter
- The Lantern Song (12 Oct 17) 12 October 2017
- We Need a “National Swear Jar” (26 Sep 17) 26 September 2017
- I Thought you Taught Boys to be Men (24 Sep 17) 24 September 2017
- Making Scouting Accessible to Today’s Family (Where I stand) 10 August 2017
- “Club Scouts” 23 November 2016
- “Our new Eagle Scouts Won’t do A Court of Honor – Help!” (26 Mar 13) 5 April 2013
- Non-Registered Adults and the Uniform (7 Nov 13) 28 November 2013
- The old Scout Shorts…can we still wear them? (22 Apr 11) 23 April 2011
- More about “Fort Knox High Days” (2015 Reunion Overview) (6 Sep 15) 10 September 2015
- More about Lent 2015 (Ash Wednesday, 18 Feb 15) 18 February 2015
- lasertest: This piece of writing is in fact a pleasant one it...
- Nik Stanosheck: It's nice to have an article again after 10 month...
- Settummanque: Hi Margaret!! Sorry you are having problems tryin...
- terry koosed: Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so m...
- Margaret: It seems now to be at: http://usscouts.org/eagle/...