One of the frequently asked questions posed to me over the years goes like this one below: “Hi Mike!! We have a son who graduated from Cub Scouts — we had a great time at it! We are now trying to work with our son to get the various requirements done for Boy Scout rank. I […]
Lyrical wrote and asked me “What uniform does an Eagle Scout wear? I’ve seen articles about the use of the medal and neckerchief but nothing about the shirt. Does this mean he wears the same shirt?” Yes. Eagle Scout is a rank, not a status. Eagle Scouts wear the same uniform as other Scouts or […]
During lunch, we were invited to participate in a small group session at our tables. I won’t share that part, because I will be using it as a separate question here on LinkedIn(tm) and also over at Scouts-L when services are fully restored. The afternoon sessions were basically the same four sessions offered at […]
Two weeks ago today (21 August 14), I left here (Tennessee) to take part in the BSA’s National Marketing Seminar which was held in Dallas, Texas (the same event was held in Chicago on Tuesday of the following week). The majority of the seminar took place on Friday (8 August 14). Much of the […]
Hi Scouting parents!! Several of you have sent me emails asking me to explain please why you have spent $200 or more for a week of summer camp and your Scout comes back with half completed merit badges; or the Scoutmaster says that he needs to find a counselor back home to finish up […]
Pat wrote and asked over on the BSA’s SCOUTING magazine blog: “I have a question I have not seen an answer to anywhere. I earned the Webelos Den Leader, Cub Scouter, Cubmaster, and Scoutmaster Award of Merit when they were all separate awards (and knots). I know I can wear them as long […]
One of the recent discussions on Scouts-L (a daily electronic mail discussion group) focused on the emphasis many people have in “making” or “becoming” an Eagle Scout. Tony wrote in part and asked: “I wasn’t around back in the 60s, but was the emphasis on it just as strong then?” Yep. Only thing […]
It has been more than a month since a large airliner belonging to Malaysia Airlines, flight 370, seemed to have vanished shortly after takeoff from Indonsia toward China. Here’s the summary, just in case you were traveling to Venus or Xenon and have not been privy to the world news back here on Earth: […]
( Short note…I’ll get better with my blog entries. There are six blog entries which are missing here…As I get time, I’ll repost/move/recreate them depending on topic. Thanks to those who asked “Where’s your blog entries — I KNOW you’ve been places and talked about them at X…”) Today (April 9th 2014), the […]
Shawn wrote and asked over on the Eagle Scout page on Facebook: “I recently graduated college, and now looking for full time employment. That being said, how has Eagle Scout helped you within your employment? How has it helped you obtain the job that you have?”To be honest, the fact that I have […]
Search Settummanque Speaks
About Mike Walton
"There's no such thing as strong coffee...only weak people..."
About Me:Take your standard Oliver North. Add strong parts of Bill Cosby and Sir Robert Baden-Powell (the founder of Scouting). Throw in Johny Bravo without the "hurhhs!" and his pecks. Add a strong dose of parenting, the sexuality of a latin lover, and Mona Lisa's smile. And a 40 year old's body frame. That's me basically *grinning*
Follow @settummanque on Twitter
- The Lantern Song (12 Oct 17) 12 October 2017
- We Need a “National Swear Jar” (26 Sep 17) 26 September 2017
- I Thought you Taught Boys to be Men (24 Sep 17) 24 September 2017
- Making Scouting Accessible to Today’s Family (Where I stand) 10 August 2017
- “Club Scouts” 23 November 2016
- “Our new Eagle Scouts Won’t do A Court of Honor – Help!” (26 Mar 13) 5 April 2013
- Non-Registered Adults and the Uniform (7 Nov 13) 28 November 2013
- The old Scout Shorts…can we still wear them? (22 Apr 11) 23 April 2011
- More about “Fort Knox High Days” (2015 Reunion Overview) (6 Sep 15) 10 September 2015
- More about Lent 2015 (Ash Wednesday, 18 Feb 15) 18 February 2015
- lasertest: This piece of writing is in fact a pleasant one it...
- Nik Stanosheck: It's nice to have an article again after 10 month...
- Settummanque: Hi Margaret!! Sorry you are having problems tryin...
- terry koosed: Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so m...
- Margaret: It seems now to be at: http://usscouts.org/eagle/...