Here’s a good illustration of why *meeting the requirements as written* and not short cutting them for any reason is important. This is a good example also to those of you NOT in Scouting as to why you need to periodically assess your team members and insure not only that they *say* they […]
She calls them that so as to get a reaction from me – it never fails. She knows full well what they are and how they are worn; she used to be a Girl Scout. But then, Girl Scouts don’t wear a NECKERCHIEF! Wikipedia defines a neckerchief in the following manner: “A neckerchief (necko, necker, kerchief or […]
(From “My First 29 Days in Baghdad” by Mike Walton (c) 2003) (I arrived in Baghdad, Iraq one week and four days after the ground war died down, in late March 2003. Each day was a personal challenge and to remember the specialness of living in that historic location at that part of history, […]
During the recent National Annual Meeting of the Boy Scouts of America, held in Atlanta, I attended several sessions geared to share information and to bring it back to my local Council to share with them. Since my “local Council” (Transatlantic) serves youth in some 60 (I haven’t counted the total number of countries, […]
“Snot Rags” She calls them that so as to get a reaction from me – it never fails. She knows full well what they are and how they are worn; she used to be a Girl Scout. But then, Girl Scouts don’t wear a NECKERCHIEF! Wikipedia defines a neckerchief in the following manner: “A […]
Today’s “Bryan on Scouting” blog entry was all about the Eagle Scout Award — the senior editor of SCOUTING Magazine, Bryan Wendell, wrote in part: “That’s why you never say “I was an Eagle Scout.” You always say “I am an Eagle Scout.” The tense makes sense. Earning the BSA’s top honor makes you a […]
I got a whipping for wanting to be a Cub Scout. I got a whipping later because I know that I did something right, but to my mother I disobeyed her. I stood there, repeating the Scout Law to myself, as my mother hit me with my father’s Army web belt over and over, […]
This is not about a particular city — this week we’re talking Baltimore. Last week we were talking some other city; and the week before we were talking yet another city. We need to understand that this kind of behavior can be found in every medium to large sized city or community in the […]
La’el Collins, Offensive Tackle, Louisiana State University (LSU) for four years. He is expected to be a first round pick when the 2015 NFL Draft starts a month from today. Collins, who grew up in Baton Rouge and graduated from Redemptorist High School, is an Eagle Scout…one of hundreds of college football players who […]
This evening, I enjoyed reading a longish posting (I’m not the ONLY person who post in long prose!) from a volunteer Scouter in the Midwest. He is upset because the BSA allows for boys as young as legally possible to earn the highest rank in the Boy Scout program — Eagle — as young […]
Search Settummanque Speaks
About Mike Walton
"There's no such thing as strong coffee...only weak people..."
About Me:Take your standard Oliver North. Add strong parts of Bill Cosby and Sir Robert Baden-Powell (the founder of Scouting). Throw in Johny Bravo without the "hurhhs!" and his pecks. Add a strong dose of parenting, the sexuality of a latin lover, and Mona Lisa's smile. And a 40 year old's body frame. That's me basically *grinning*
Follow @settummanque on Twitter
- The Lantern Song (12 Oct 17) 12 October 2017
- We Need a “National Swear Jar” (26 Sep 17) 26 September 2017
- I Thought you Taught Boys to be Men (24 Sep 17) 24 September 2017
- Making Scouting Accessible to Today’s Family (Where I stand) 10 August 2017
- “Club Scouts” 23 November 2016
- “Our new Eagle Scouts Won’t do A Court of Honor – Help!” (26 Mar 13) 5 April 2013
- Non-Registered Adults and the Uniform (7 Nov 13) 28 November 2013
- The old Scout Shorts…can we still wear them? (22 Apr 11) 23 April 2011
- More about “Fort Knox High Days” (2015 Reunion Overview) (6 Sep 15) 10 September 2015
- More about Lent 2015 (Ash Wednesday, 18 Feb 15) 18 February 2015
- lasertest: This piece of writing is in fact a pleasant one it...
- Nik Stanosheck: It's nice to have an article again after 10 month...
- Settummanque: Hi Margaret!! Sorry you are having problems tryin...
- terry koosed: Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so m...
- Margaret: It seems now to be at: http://usscouts.org/eagle/...